Waymarks - Support Person
Waymarks are an award winning community support provider for people who have a mild to moderate learning disability and Autism.
Waymarks are looking to recruit a motivated and energetic team to provide support to a gentleman with autism to live in his own home and make connections in the community in the Dartford area. He enjoys; music, going shopping, cooking, walking and sewing. The post involves commitment to sleep-in, therefore flexibility is essential.
You will need a sound understanding of risk management to maintain appropriate structures and boundaries, as well as a non-judgemental attitude.
You will also need to be passionate about supporting adults to increase their independent living skills; with strong ambition for the people we support to facilitate positive community participation. We are looking for people with a good knowledge of opportunities in the local area and a good understanding of community connections work.
Other key info: Fulltime, part-time and relief contracts available. Car driver is desirable but not essential for the right person. Full and extensive training is given so prior experience in this field is not essential. We want the right people with the right attitudes and aptitudes, and we will provide training to develop the required skills.
An important part of supporting people at Waymarks is to support their development in order for them to live as independently as possible within the community. This gentleman will need support in developing and understanding his emotions, developing effective ways to communicate his needs, developing empathy for the needs of others, understanding relationships, learning and understanding his health needs and being able to get help.
The post involves commitment to sleep-in support in and therefore flexibility is essential.
If successful you will undertake a second interview with the person we support to ensure compatibility.
Your role and duties will be:
- To complete and follow comprehensive support plans to ensure positive outcomes for the people we support
- Supporting community participation e.g. work/college placements
- To establish appropriate community connections and support the development of positive relationships for the person we support
- Using interpersonal skills and relationships to help people make choices, develop self-help, confidence and independence skills.
- Helping to seek inclusion opportunities and introduce the people we support to community facilities, clubs etc.
- Building good working relationships with the people we support, their friends and families, your colleagues and external organisations involved with the people you support. You are required to show empathy and awareness for others’ individuality, beliefs and cultures. You will recognise and challenge any bias, prejudice and discrimination.
In return, we offer;
- A generous training programme, including Learning Disability Qualifications and a Diploma in Health and Social Care.
- A bespoke induction package to orientate you to the Waymarks model of support.
- A pension scheme with contribution by Waymarks.
- Employee reward scheme, where you can save money every day on shopping or even larger purchases like holidays.
Positive about Disabled People
Waymarks value the diversity of all its employees. As a commitment to supporting disabled applicants and employees, we have been awarded the Positive about Disabled People symbol by Jobcentre Plus. This means:
- When you fill in the application form we will ask if you have a disability to make sure the application process is fair to people who have a disability.
- We will interview any person who declares they have a disability who meets the essential criteria for the job they are applying for. The essential criteria are the most important things needed to be able to do the job.
Waymarks strives to be an equal opportunities employer. We value individuality and welcome applications from a diverse range of people. This includes ex-offenders and other groups of people or individuals who may not otherwise apply due to a concern about something in their background. Please contact us to discuss your application further if you have any questions.
Successful applicants will undergo an Enhanced DBS check (paid for by us).
- Support Worker